Millbrook Methodist Church, Millbrook, Cornwall

Church History

The history of Methodist worship in Millbrook goes way back to meetings in two houses on Fore Street, one of which, "Bethany Cottage", can still be seen today (pictured below, left). The other house was demolished in the early years of the nineteenth century and a chapel was built in the garden in 1808. That first Methodist building remained in use as the chapel until the 1870s, and is still in use today as the Scout Hall (pictured below, centre).

In the 1870s a new site was given by one of the Trustees of that original chapel, Mr. Richard Parsons, and on 3 September 1873 the foundation stone of the new chapel was laid. Built with Cornish granite at a cost of 1,320, and designed originally to seat 400 worshippers, the new chapel was finally completed in the spring of 1874 (pictured below, right). Apart from the removal of some of the pews from the front of the chapel, the interior remains much the same today.

After the move to the new chapel, the old building remained in use as the Sunday School, but due to its age became very expensive to maintain and a fund for a new building was started. In 1955 it was confirmed that Millbrook Methodist Church would receive the war damage payment for Haddington Road Methodist Church in Plymouth, which had been destroyed in the Second World War and was not going to be rebuilt. A sum of 10,000 was given for Millbrook's new Sunday School. The new building was opened on 26 March 1960, and is still used today for fellowship groups.

Please clink on the thumbnails below to see bigger photos.